Connie,

I had had trouble figuring this out in the past, but gave up due to the bugs. I just experimented with the new version. Here are the results. Note that both the master text and the detail text can be abbreviated for the subsequent citations, as viewed on the Source Detail panels.

Family Group Sheet:
Each footnote is the full citation text -- no 'subsequent' citations -- as you described. I assume that this is a bug.

Descendant Narrative Report (I am using individual footnotes, displayed on each page.): - The first footnote of the master source has the full text for both the master portion and the detail portion. - All other footnotes of the master source show the subsequent citation form. I.e., they have the same source 'fields' omitted from the master portion and from the detail portion.

This is also a problem! If the detail information in a field that gets removed is different from the first citation, it will never be seen. Example below.

I'm not sure what the solution is though. I have written about this before. How should Legacy figure out that a citation qualifies a subsequent, for the detail portion? Should it compare the text of all the detail fields for an exact character by character match with every previous footnote from the same master?

Example:
As you will see, for this particular source type (Grave Markers, Rural), one master field and 2 detail fields will be omitted from the subsequent citation. The 3 detail fields begin with the person's name. If only I could be permitted to use bolding and underlining. :-)

Source Data #1 :
Footnote/Endnote Citation:
Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio; High Street, behind Methodist Church), Joseph T. Walker marker, Personally read, 2008.
Subsequent Citation:
Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio), Joseph T. Walker marker.

Source Data #2:
Footnote/Endnote Citation:
Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio; High Street, behind Methodist Church), Joseph T. Walker marker, This is a test of a subsequent citation., 2008.
Subsequent Citation:
Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio), Joseph T. Walker marker.

Source Data #3:
Footnote/Endnote Citation:
Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio; High Street, behind Methodist Church), Margaret S. Walker marker, Personally read, 2008.
Subsequent Citation:
Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio), Margaret S. Walker marker.

Results:
The master field text 'behind Methodist Church' is only shown on the very first footnote for this master source. This is fine. The detail text in the middle field of #2 and #3 is never seen. The first footnote (for this master) in the report happens to be the full citation from #1. The second footnote is the subsequent from #2. The third is the subsequent from #3.

Desired Output:
The second and third footnotes should show all the detail since it is not identical to any earlier citation. Even that rule is not very clear. What if there is another citation of the Joseph T. Walker marker and the rest of the detail matches one of the above 2 details? If the 'subsequent' form is used in the footnote, the reader won't know what to assume for the missing fields.

I think that 'lumpers' who rely heavily on the detail text will have a lot of trouble with this.

  Ward

----- Original Message ----- From: "Connie Sheets" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>