Elizabeth Richardson wrote:
> People ought to be able to think this stuff through.
Name of document, author of document, enough additional information so that
the next person can look at it too. Do you really need 5 screens of drop
down menus to record this? Absolutely not! ... keep it simple, though
clear...

Elizabeth, I totally understand your sentiment here. When I use software and
I'm faced with five screens of drop-down menus, my tolerance gets tested,
too.

Still, the problem with the "keep it simple" concept in genealogy is that
the records we use *aren't* simple--unless we're simply citing a plain ol'
book. Worse, all the sources we use absolutely defy everybody's efforts to
make them simple. There are an infinite variety of types out there. The
essentials for one type often are not the same for the next type. If we work
primarily in a specific set of resources, simplifying those seems doable. If
we work primarily in a specific region, we develop for ourselves what seems
to be a simple of principles. But the wider net we cast for records, as our
experience and needs and families expand, the more we are absolutely
smackgobbed by how UNsimple it all becomes.

Let me give you a bit of perspective here, from the experience that went
into EE--across 10 years of trying to reduce thousands of variants into as
few patterns as possible.

EE has twelve chapters that center upon source types (the other two
chapters, at the beginning, cover fundamental principles). Starting with
Chapter 3, Archives and Artifacts, I worked my way through several dozen
types of archival materials and artifacts owned by families, trying to take
the long-established principles and tailor them into a basic structure that
would work with everything. Eventually, I came up with a few basic patterns
that did work for all.

Then I started Chapter 4, Business and Institutional Records, addressing all
the different types that genealogists had asked for help on across the past
decade. Whooooooooo. That was a rude awakening. The "few basic patterns"
that worked for Archives and Artifacts couldn't handle many of the business
and institutional records. That meant Chapter 3 had to be worked through
totally again, to create patterns that would work for both categories of
records.

Then came Chapter 5, Cemetery Records. [EMAIL PROTECTED]&*()_+!  The same thing
happened again. For cemeteries, we have other needs. So, back to the drawing
board it was, for Chapters 3, 4, and 5.

That process repeated itself almost full time for three years, as I worked
through the records of local courts, who organized their materials
differently from state-level and national courts, who organized their
materials differently from those in England or Australia. Through census
records, which was another wild set of variants depending upon whether one
cited U.S. federal population returns or state-level censuses in different
types of custody or U.S. Native American tribal censuses which are accessed
in a totally different way from the population returns. And then through
licenses, and registrations, and rolls of all types in all sorts of
arrangements in all sorts of places, and vital records, and plain-vanilla
publications vs. legal works that are cited differently vs. published
government documents which have an entirely different set of parameters.

And then there's all those considerations about whether we are using
Ancestry images vs. databases--so critical to our analysis of the data we
are using. And whether we use "this" set of microfilm that did selective
filming as compared to "that" set of microfilm that's covers all the record
set--even though the two carry the same title. Or whether we use so-and-so's
CD that seems to offer the same as the website of similar name but one's a
transcript and one's abbreviated abstracts.  &c &c &c!

Was all this necessary? Obviously, I think so--based on the circumstances
that led to it.

In 1979, I did an article on source citation for the _Genealogical Helper,_
covering about a dozen types of basic sources, following Turabian which most
history grad students get to know quite well. The late Richard Lackey felt
that little article didn't suffice and that much more explanation was
needed; so he did a wee book that was still about 10 time longer and offered
a dozen and a half source categories, with explanations. Then he promptly
died and left U.S. researchers for 15 years saying "Help! I'm using this
source that isn't in _Cite Your Sources!_ How do I cite *this*?"

The result in 1997, was my little _Evidence!_ with 103 source types, all
neatly laid out in clean grids with no caveats about nitpicking differences
to bog anybody down. Just about as simple a format as possible to satisfy
the demand. Some people groaned at the idea of 103 different ways to cite
sources. Others then spent 10 years writing me, calling me, and posting
messages on hundreds of forums saying, "Help! I'm using this source that
isn't in _Evidence!_ So how do I cite *this*? "

The result is _Evidence Explained_, with over 1100 different source types
and *much* discussion of why "this" is needed, why "that" is handled
differently, and how all this dancing on a pinhead actually effects the
reliability of the genealogical decisions we make. Predictably, some
genealogists groan at the idea of 1100 different variations. Just as
predictably, in another forum today (as most every other day), somebody
posted a message saying, "Help! I'm using this source that isn't in
_Evidence Explained_.  So how do I handle *this*?"

Obviously, different people have different wants and needs. It's a challenge
for software developers to create a product that gives every user exactly
the level of help they prefer. I'll leave that challenge to the software
producers to wrestle with. For my part, I'm simply trying to provide the
help that people ask for--software producers and researchers alike. I've
long since given up on the idea of being able to help everybody one-on-one.
There are so many genealogists who want to do the best job possible, but I
can't possible answer them all.

What I *have* tried to do with the Evidence series to provide different
levels of help. If genealogists want help, it's there. If they don't, they
can simply ignore it and do whatever they prefer.

The germane point here is a line that appears toward the start of both
_Evidence!_ and _Evidence Explained_. Citation is an art, not a science. EE
goes into detail on that point. To quote from section 2.1, which carries
that "Art, not a Science" label:

"As budding artists, we learn the principles--from color and form to shape
and texture. Once we have mastered the basics, we are free to improvise.
Through that improvisation, we capture the uniqueness of each subject.... As
historians, we use words to paint our interpretations of past societies and
their surviving records. In order to portray those records, we learn certain
principles of citation--principles that broadly apply to various types of
historical materials. Yet records and artifacts are like all else in the
universe: each can be unique in its own way. Therefore, once we have learned
the principles of citation, we have both an artistic license and a
researcher's responsibility to adapt those principles to fit materials that
do not match any standard model."

EE covers those principles. It's not just a collection of formats like those
you see in your drop-down menus. It also explains the quirks in records--the
pitfalls we don't anticipate that cause us problems. (And the kind of
explanations that someone on the list recently said they wish that Geoff
could provide on screen. But, of course, if he spends his time rewriting EE
in his own words, there's a lot of software development that won't get done.
:)

The principles in EE are ones you can find in many guides to source
citation. The explanations of quirks and pitfalls, admittedly, will be
harder to find elsewhere. But the bottom line is that you, Ron, and I are in
agreement on the most fundamental point: consistency and clarity. The issue
is what we have to do to achieve that, so others whose experiences and
knowledge base are different from ours can understand us and so there will
be as much uniformity as possible, regardless of record type or region.

The point of EE, and the apparent intent of the software developers who
follow it, is not to set up rigid formats from which no one dare deviate
lest someone slap their wrists and call them naughty. The point is to
provide guidance, to explain the fundamentals and the trip-ups, to expose
users to both sources and considerations they may not have previously worked
with, and then allow every researcher the freedom to adapt in whatever ways
are necessary for any given record.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
_Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from
   Artifacts to Cyberspace_
_QuickSheet: Citing Online Historical Resources,
   Evidence! Style_
_Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian_

(Other QuickSheets are in progress. Wish lists are invited :)

*** Holiday discounts on Legacy 7.0, add-ons, books, and more. Visit
http://tinyurl.com/65rpbt. ***