Ward,

You wrote:

">
> I think that 'lumpers' who rely heavily on the detail text will have a lot
> of trouble with this.
>"

We could see this coming, and it is why I would imagine most are like me, and
extremely selective as to which Source Writer templates are used. Mrs Mills has
a lot to answer for!!

*New Tutorial* Publish your Web Pages  - Blogs
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> [...]
> form. I.e., they have the same source 'fields' omitted from the master
> portion and from the detail portion.
>
> This is also a problem! If the detail information in a field that gets
> removed is different from the first citation, it will never be seen. Example
> below.
>
> I'm not sure what the solution is though. I have written about this before.
> How should Legacy figure out that a citation qualifies a subsequent, for the
> detail portion? Should it compare the text of all the detail fields for an
> exact character by character match with every previous footnote from the
> same master?
>
> Example:
> As you will see, for this particular source type (Grave Markers, Rural), one
> master field and 2 detail fields will be omitted from the subsequent
> citation. The 3 detail fields begin with the person's name. If only I could
> be permitted to use bolding and underlining. :-)
>
> Source Data #1 :
> Footnote/Endnote Citation:
> Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio; High Street, behind
> Methodist Church), Joseph T. Walker marker, Personally read, 2008.
> Subsequent Citation:
> Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio), Joseph T. Walker
> marker.
>
> Source Data #2:
> Footnote/Endnote Citation:
> Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio; High Street, behind
> Methodist Church), Joseph T. Walker marker, This is a test of a subsequent
> citation., 2008.
> Subsequent Citation:
> Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio), Joseph T. Walker
> marker.
>
> Source Data #3:
> Footnote/Endnote Citation:
> Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio; High Street, behind
> Methodist Church), Margaret S. Walker marker, Personally read, 2008.
> Subsequent Citation:
> Highland Cemetery in Mt. Pleasant (Jefferson, Ohio), Margaret S. Walker
> marker.
>
> Results:
> The master field text 'behind Methodist Church' is only shown on the very
> first footnote for this master source. This is fine.
> The detail text in the middle field of #2 and #3 is never seen. The first
> footnote (for this master) in the report happens to be the full citation
> from #1. The second footnote is the subsequent from #2. The third is the
> subsequent from #3.
>
> Desired Output:
> The second and third footnotes should show all the detail since it is not
> identical to any earlier citation.
> Even that rule is not very clear. What if there is another citation of the
> Joseph T. Walker marker and the rest of the detail matches one of the above
> 2 details? If the 'subsequent' form is used in the footnote, the reader
> won't know what to assume for the missing fields.

Imagine a life without walls.  See the possibilities.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/122465943/direct/01/

*** Holiday discounts on Legacy 7.0, add-ons, books, and more. Visit
http://tinyurl.com/65rpbt. ***