For a somewhat different prospective:

I have not studied your problem closely, but from what I have gleaned, you in
fact do not know how (or even if) these two people are actually related.

I never link people in my database until I have documentation to support the
link.  I enter suspected or suggested relationships only as notes for the
relevant person(s).  The only time I enter "unknown" persons is if I have
documentation that 2 or more people are siblings, but I don't know the name of
their parents.

If I thought the possibility was strong enough, I might enter Simon Lee in the
database, along with any links to his relatives that I have "proven," but I
would not link him up to your relative Rebecca until I had the documentation to
"prove" the relationship.  Notes for one or both of them would be sufficient in
my mind.

Connie