Ralph Schwonke wrote
4. Is there a convention for entering a person’s primary name versus the AKA? For instance, my grandfather was born and baptized in Germany as Friedrich Carl Schwonke, but he was known in the USA for most of his life as Charles Schwonke. Which name should be the primary and which the AKA?

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but personally I use the name the person was mostly known as in the Name field and the other, less used name in the AKA field.

The other option is to use a "quoted given name" where you enter the forenames as Friedrich Carl "Charles." There are Options for different ways to use quoted names in Reports and I prefer to set it so the report reads "Friedrich Carl Schwonke was born ... Charles did this, that and the other."

--
Jenny M Benson