I don't see an answer to your first question.
You can import into Legacy your exported GED 5.5 for preview etc.  Just give it
a different filename  so it isn't a conflict with your database filename.
Select from the file menu:      File>Import From>GEDCOM File.  It will ask you
to "Open" filename.
Laird