From: "Jenny M Benson" <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Back Up Help - PLEASE

> *1. To open my file I'm referring to the "backup file". What is the the
> correct "Restore family file" command? I didn't know there was such a
> command.*

If you look in Legacy's File menu, the second item is "Open family file"
which is what you would normally do, if you do not have Legacy set to
automatically open a particular file.  The family file that you are
working on at any time is saved with a .fdb ending to the filename.
There are several other files that are connected with it - they have the
same name, but different endings - but the .fdb is the main one.

When you backup your family file using the Legacy backup command (also
on the File name) Legacy puts the .fdb file *and all the others
connected to it* into a super-file with the ending .zip.  It's a bit
like putting all your shopping into one bag.  In order to use the items
you've bought, you need to take them all out of the bag.  In order to
use the contents of the .zip file, Legacy needs to take all the contents
out and then start using the .fdb file.

In order to tell Legacy you want to "open the .zip file and take the
contents out, then open my .fdb file, please" you need to look in the
File menu for "Restore family file" which is the 8th item on the list.

> **
> *2. *Jenny says - When I say "backup" I am referring to a zip file
> created by using
> the "Backup family file" command, which is what I presume you are doing,
> as opposed to just saving your family file with different name and/or in
> a different place.
> *Yes, it has a zip ending on it.*
> *Should I be saving to "saving your family file with different name
> and/or in a different place?*

No.  What you are doing is fine!  However, once you've created that
backup (.zip) file, you don't really need to ever both about it again
unless something goes wrong with your family file.  You can carry on
working on the same family file all the time - Legacy saves everything
as it goes along, so if you closed Legacy without making a backup, you
could just open the file again next day and carry on working on it.

If you want, you can go to the Options menu, select Customize and look
in the middle on the left.  You can select to "Open last used family
automatically" or select the name of your usual file from the drop-down
list so that the same one always opens when you start Legacy.

But DO carry on making your back-ups!  That is absolutely the right
thing to do.  They are there in case of emergency.

--
Jenny M Benson

Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on
our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).