Brian,

Let's start with a fact, a fact of life in the real world.
"In the real world we have many unwed mothers
and unwed fathers."

I have a similar issue as Pat's.
I have a man and a women who had a child.
The couple did not marry each other.
But Legacy labels them Husband and Wife.
Unlinking Husband from Wife also UNLINKS the Father from his child.
BAD.  I smell a bug.  This should not happen.
The Mother is still linked to their child
and is Wife to Husband Unknown.
Unlinking the Mother from Unknown Husband
UNLINKED her from her child also.
Equally BAD and should not happen.
These 3 people are biologically linked in real life,
but NOT by marriage and therefore not by Legacy.

Second case:
I just clicked on a child, labeled Male.  Then I clicked
on Marriage Information and did not enter anything.
I clicked on the X to close Marriage Information.
When I came back to the child, who had died shortly
after birth, he was labeled Husband.  And Legacy had
married him to a Wife with the name "Unknown".
I unlinked the pair successfully per your instructions
and the little fellow is now no longer a husband.
Thank you.

Your statement "If she had children then there must be a
marriage to create the link between her and her children ..."
may be true for you in Legacy, but in the real world
this assumption is often false.

This situation could be corrected by not labeling parents
as Husband and Wife until WE, your customers,
enter the necessary data into Marriage Information.

IMHO this is a bug in Legacy's programming.

JimS
Legacy v.5 Deluxe
40+ yrs ADP incl. programming.