Unfortuntely, that is exactly what I find a lot of people doing. It is
indicates the mentality that the more people who cite this particular
source, the more valuable it must be.

My point being is how many primary sources do you find for say a birth
record? Late enough you may have the actual certificate -you may have the
county register for that certificate, and you may have a bible reference.
But when it boils down to it - you have the certificate. Now you may have a
dozen books citiing that certificate and a ton of folks will cite all dozen
books - but those are secondary sources all citing the original certificate
or register. How many of those do you really need?