Here are a few examples where I have used multiple sources on the source
clipboards (although very rarely do I need to use 5 at once):

(1)    I used to use one citation for a particular Scottish census. More
recently, I’ve realized that I need to be more exact as to where the
information came from.  In a few instances, I have the actual image of the
census that I got from ScotlandsPeople.  In some earlier instances, I have the
transcription that was provided by FreeCEN. More recently, I have
transcriptions done by Ancestry.com.  All of these different sources were
referenced simply as “1841 Census of Scotland” but even though they refer to
the same event, they are different sources.  And sometimes that difference is
critical.  So… in fixing my census sources, I may have one, two, or even all
three of those sources that were consulted in the course of my examination of
this particular family.  So I load up all three on the clipboard and paste away
as necessary to document the family.

(2)    For a birth record in Scotland… I may have an old IGI record that came
from transcribed parish records; I may have the new transcription from
FamilySearch’s “Scottish Births and Baptisms” database; I may have the actual
birth certificate from ScotlandsPeople.  I also have a generic record called
“Birth Certificate” which simply means (to me), that I have a paper or digital
copy of the original record (regardless of what agency created the
certificate). So I may want to have all of these on the clipboard at once as I
document a person (or a series of individuals from a family).  Now… do I need
to document all these different sources?  That’s another question… and the
answer may be no… but on the other hand… for someone tracking my work… it may
be easier for them to get a hold of one of those sources than another.  And
sometimes there’s a discrepancy … the transcribed record said one thing, the
certificate says another.  In these cases, sometimes it’s faster to apply all
five sources, and just simply delete the ones that don’t apply via the
individual’s sources window.

(3)    When I was new (and using a different genealogy program), it seemed too
much effort to apply a particular source to every single fact that I had
acquired from that source. So I made the stupid decision to simply apply the
source to the person’s name.  Now that I’m wiser, I see it is important that I
know that the birth dates, locations, marriage dates, nicknames, occupations,
etc. also came from this source.  When I happen on these cases and am adding
new sources to the person, I load up a copy of the old source from the name and
paste away.  Again, sometimes it’s faster to apply multiple sources and delete
an occasional source from a particular field than it would be to load up each
of these sources individually and apply each one individually to all the places
necessary in separate passes.

In sum, I find using multiple sources on the clipboards most useful when I’m
fixing old mistakes.  I’ve found it faster sometimes to apply multiple sources
once, and delete the occasional one that doesn’t belong rather than do each one
in its own pass.  And, finally, once I’m done, I clean out all the other
clipboards and re-set the main one to my default source.