From: Linda Greethurst
Sent: Tuesday, 12 April, 2016 8:40 AM
To: Mailing List for users of Legacy Family Tree software
Subject: [LegacyUG] How do I enter English locations in Legacy

This note pertains to a bit of history, geography and using Legacy to enter the
info.  I want to clearly designate the difference between the locations of
church events such as baptism and burial and the civil events such as birth and
death.

In the US we have city (or township if referring to a farm), then county, then
state, and then country.   For example I would enter: Des Moines, Polk County,
Iowa, USA.  I use the word "County" as Des Moines city is not in Des Moines
county. The name of the church itself would go into the notes under the baptism
address, right?

But I am confused with English locations; and I think I am mixing up church and
civil juridictions.  In England, isn't a "parish" a larger area than just a
church building?  Can there be more than one church/congregation within a
"parish" jurisdiction?

Example, I have a guy baptized on 12 Dec 1748 at St. Nicholas Parish,
Shepperton, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom.
That would be a church location for a church function.  But what would be the
birth location if he were born in  Shepperton. He wasn't born in the church
building itself as far as I know. Do I use the jurisdiction of "Hundred" (which
I haven't really figured out yet).  I don't know if he was born in the village
of Shepperton, or on a rural residence.

Then he died in 1816 in Deptford, Kent, England  -so now I have just three
places?  Is there a smaller unit of an address to pinpoint where Deptford is
than just Kent?

Is "England" enough - properly?  Do I need to include "United Kingdom"?  I do
not use "USA" for pre 1776 events - that is not a proper location.

So the basic questions:  What are the 4 crucial "names" go into the four slots
for the civil birth location?
                                       What "names" go into the four slots for
the church baptism location?
                                       What other "location" information would
I need to include in the notes section?

I am aware of the option to omit leading commas for easier reading to the
non-genealogist. And I know I can use more than 4 slots, but then the sort
order gets "out of sorts".  Thus, what are the 4 vital names.

Any suggestions or guidelines would be helpful.  Thank you in advance.
Linda