To: legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com
From: d...@btinternet.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 15:22:20 +0100
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How do I enter English locations in Legacy

    Hi Linda,

    I think someone else has mentioned that you should try and avoid the
    4 units for a location. We like to keep things nice and complicated
    here in the UK !!

    If you know the name of the Church, then I would use, CHURCH NAME,
    TOWN/VILLAGE, COUNTY, ENGLAND (OR WALES OR SCOTLAND). I don't add
    United Kingdom as, to me, each of the Countries are separate
    entities.

    So, my baptism would be St. Nicholas,
      Shepperton, Middlesex, England. If the
        church was not shown then, Shepperton,
          Middlesex, England Some places have
            more than one church so you can't actually show the name
            unless the record details it.

    However, Counties changed over the course of time, so you need to be
    sure that you are using the right one for the actual event you are
    recording !! Shepperton was in Middlesex at the time of your Baptism
    but then went to Surrey !! This link will show you some details -
    http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SRY/parishes

    I would record the death event as Deptford, Kent, England if this is
    what the record shows. There was no Civil Registration at this point
    so you would not find a record for this anyway.

    Civil Registration commenced in 1837 and there have been many, many
    changes right up to the present day of the "Districts" and what is
    included in them. GENUKI is a great site for picking this sort of
    thing apart and this link will give you an idea of what you need to
    be aware of when trying to ascertain locations -
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

    What I try and do is always add RD to the district name if the
    record is a Civil Registration Birth, Death or Marriage. So, as an
    example, Greenwich RD, London, England

    In the above, there is NO town/village as you cannot really use
    "London" as this could mean just about anything !! So you have
    DISTRICT/COUNTY/COUNTRY

    This link will show you what happened to Deptford over time -
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/greenwich.html

    This link will allow you to download a list of place names and their
    associated Registration Districts between 1837 and 1974 -
    http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/index.html

    Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things even more !!

    Chris S