On Monday, November 25, 2013 2:48:31 PM UTC+1, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Reinhard Engel <
> reinhard...@googlemail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> Is there conceptually any difference between scripts in Leo and macros in
>> other languages (not macros in C, but macros i.e. in Microsoft Word, Access
>> or Visual Basic)?
>>

> Two, no three, no four, no five, no six, no seven differences:
>
> 1. Leo scripts have access to outline structure.  Most other scripting
> languages do not.
> 2. Leo scripts have full access to all of Leo's source code.
> 3. Leo scripts can be built up from outlines via section references.
> 4. Leo script can be embedded in @button nodes.
> 5. Leo scripts can be embedded in @test nodes.
> 6. Leo scripts can create external files, a special case of:
> 7. Leo scripts can do anything Python can do.
>
> That enough?
>
> EKR

Well, yes - that's enough. It nicely sums up how powerful scripts/macros in
Leo are, because Leo uses Python itself for its macro language. But maybe
it's just an (insubstantial) question of semantics. In your seven points,
if one would replace 'scripts' by 'macros', the meaning wouldn't change (at
leas not for me), and that's what I'm trying to understand.