Edward, though I am an org-mode user, I keep an eye on Leo.

This is because, as far as I know, org-mode has no mechanism similar to
your type of clones.  Your clones are elegant.  The things you can do with
@others are only possible because of your elegant clones, is that fair to
say?

I hope that I can use clones like that in org-mode one day.

Please let me be careful here.  I don't wish to step on any toes here, but
I'm about to suggest something radical: Could it be that org-mode isn't as
clumsy as you think?

:)

Please consider this evidence: org-mode is easily hundreds of times more
popular than Leo.  It's also older, bigger, has more developers, and a more
active mailing list.  There's also an IRC channel.  Do you really think
that it would have such a dedicated community if it were 'clumsy'? :)

As I see it, Leo could look to org-mode as an older brother and a positive
role model.  (Have you looked at the 8.x exporter framework?  It is modular
and supports more export formats than Leo, with very consistent results
across formats.)

As I alluded to, I see the sibling relationship as two way street: there is
at least one big, important thing that I think org-mode should learn from
Leo.  But, it is a hard lesson, and I don't know how to convey it myself.

Keep up the good work and happy holidays,
--Dave

p.s. Regarding the script delimiters, don't .leo files look the same, if
you just read the source in a non-Leonine text editor?  I know you're busy
with Leo, but if you need a break sometime, spend an afternoon looking at
org-mode's UI.  Here is a short video that shows someone using the UI to
work with code blocks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYdK0C2RvQ (in this
case, they aren't running the code or tangling it into a program, they are
writing documentation--but those tasks use the same UI).  Here is a video
that's much longer but happens to address your points 1, 2 and 4 through 7,
(note 15:05 for point 4!  Few emacs users use @button-type functionality,
but it is there!)  Incidentally, regarding #3: actually org-babel was
inspired by, is compatible with, and supports noweb, but it doesn't depend
on it or use it exclusively.  You can re-use snippets in multiple places,
but not as elegantly as Leo does it with clones.

On Monday, November 25, 2013 8:29:55 AM UTC-6, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Miles Fidelman
> <mfid...@meetinghouse.net<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Edward K. Ream wrote:
>>
>>  On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:41 AM, Reinhard Engel <reinhard...@googlemail.
>>> com <javascript:> <mailto:reinhard...@googlemail.com <javascript:>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Is there conceptually any difference between scripts in Leo and
>>>     macros in other languages (not macros in C, but macros i.e. in
>>>     Microsoft Word, Access or Visual Basic)?
>>>

>>> Two, no three, no four, no five, no six, no seven differences:
>>>
>>> 1. Leo scripts have access to outline structure.  Most other scripting
>>> languages do not.
>>> 2. Leo scripts have full access to all of Leo's source code.
>>> 3. Leo scripts can be built up from outlines via section references.
>>> 4. Leo script can be embedded in @button nodes.
>>> 5. Leo scripts can be embedded in @test nodes.
>>> 6. Leo scripts can create external files, a special case of: