On Monday, November 25, 2013 2:37:49 PM UTC-6, Dave Loyall wrote:

> Edward, though I am an org-mode user, I keep an eye on Leo.
>
> This is because, as far as I know, org-mode has no mechanism similar to
> your type of clones.  Your clones are elegant.  The things you can do with
> @others are only possible because of your elegant clones, is that fair to
> say?
>
> I hope that I can use clones like that in org-mode one day.
>
> Please let me be careful here.  I don't wish to step on any toes here, but
> I'm about to suggest something radical: Could it be that org-mode isn't as
> clumsy as you think?

We have come full circle.

If @auto can be made to have the advantages of @file, and I am fairly
confident that it can, then there is a clear path to providing all of Leo's
features in Emacs, vim or Eclipse.

- Implement @auto, using leoImport.py and leoAtFile.py as guides.
- Implement clones "behind the scenes" using leoNode.py as a guide.

This could be done in elisp (or vim-script) or (more cleverly) directly in
Python for platforms like Emacs and Eclipse that support Python scripting.

In other words, if @auto could support clones, there would be no need for
sentinels anywhere, which would remove the key barrier to generating
external files in Leo, Emacs or vim.

I have said many times that I would be pleased if Emacs, vim and Eclipse
supported Leo's key features.  Improving @auto seems like the step that
will make that possible.