I think why Leo behaves as it does and how it should behave are
complicated by the problem of defining what Leo is.

Config. user friendliness wise I think there's a possible middle way
solution where we make the Leoine way easy for non-technical users.

I.e. a settings menu with a hierarchy that lets you select
Settings --> Appearance --> Colors --> Backgrounds

etc.

I think we should get that far and then decide if more GUI is needed,
or if the user can be expected to edit a list of background colors.
Note providing a visual color picker would be a separate issue, I'm
just talking about whether we can ask the user to edit a Leo outline to
change scalar values or not.

Anyway, as a first step, I've just closed
https://bugs.launchpad.net/leo-editor/+bug/555014

Settings -> Open Personal Settings will now create myLeoSettings.leo if
it doesn't already exist.

Currently the created outline looks like this:

  Settings README
  @settings
      @enabled-plugins
      @keys
          @shortcuts

  myLeoSettings.leo personal settings file created Mon May  5 09:21:51 2014

  Only nodes that are descendants of the @settings node are read.

  Only settings you need to modify should be in this file, do
  not copy large parts of leoSettings.py here.

  For more information see http://leoeditor.com/customizing.html

(with no actual shortcuts defined in @shortcuts, just a comment about
how to do it).

More could be added.