On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM,  <duf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a long-time lurker on this newsgroup, and I have noticed that in the
> last few months there have been significant improvements to Leo, in the
> hopes of making it more accessible to the non-technical crowd.

Leo seems insignificant at present.  I have little interest in whether
Leo is "accessible" to non-technical people. Learn Leo or not--it's
your choice.  I also have scant interest in Leo "vs." Emacs or Vim.

Consider what's happening today, including one-dollar-one-vote
democracy [0], "neutered, impotent and obsolete" U.S. corporate media
[1] , out-of-control military [2] and surveillance [3] establishments,
worldwide inaction on CO2 emissions [4] and an ongoing human-caused
mass extinction rivaling the previous "big 5" mass extinctions [5],
all enabled by 24/7 corporate-funded right-wing propaganda [6] and
[7].

Two novels emphasize the need for courage in the present
circumstances:  A Tale for the Time Being [8] and The Winter of the
World [9].  I recommend either or both for those who think the issues
listed above are no concern of ordinary people.

If there is one area where I might still make a difference in the
computing world, it might be high-speed analysis of types for Python.
Lest you think this is a minor business, it is a fact that any useful
analysis of computer programs (for example, any kind of refactoring)
requires robust knowledge of types.

Edward

[0]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCutcheon_v._Federal_Election_Commission#Subsequent_commentary