Thanks for the explanation, Terry.
I think the solution lies in the middle ground that you propose, and which
I was already looking forward to. But I thought it was going to be
implemented months ago! Things seem to have stalled, after an initial
flurry of activity (videocasts, etc) in the right direction.

Leo's settings can by all means remain exactly as they are, with no problem
whatsoever, provided that there is also a more user friendly way of
accessing them, so that the same settings can be accessed in a more
"humanly readable" way.
As things stand today, the situation a bit too intricate, and what the new
user experiences is a feeling of confusion. Complexity tends to be
overwhelming and to put off people. Also, why complexity, when things could
be simplified with no loss?
Hiding at least part of the complexity "under the hood" could be a major
improvement, I believe.