There is one program that I immediately thought of after reading a few
pages about Zettelkasten: fossil <https://fossil-scm.org> and its wiki
feature. It is a single executable (a rather small one ~ 2-3Mb), that can
work on any platform. It supports tagging, timeline view. One can see the
history of any given note. With some basic Tcl programming one can easily
generate cross reference pages of links between notes. It is not overly
complicated to put the content of your repository online so that you can
access it from anywhere. It supports markdown format for writing wiki pages
(= notes). The whole archive content is in a single file which makes it
easy to copy from one computer to another. It is easy to clone entire
archive over the internet and work locally and later synchronize work with
the other archives/repositories.

It uses a web browser for its UI. User can choose from several themes or
write a new one.

Right now, I intend to start my own Zettelkasten using fossil, but I am not
sure that I will persist keeping it.

Vitalije