---------- Original Message ----------
From: "geist1...@juno.com" <geist1...@juno.com>
To: lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: [lfs-support] Gcc Compiling Problem in 32 bit
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 00:37:36 GMT

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>
To: LFS Support List <lfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 01:24:49 +0100

On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 11:19:07PM +0000, geist1...@juno.com wrote:
> Hi All; Paul, Sorry about not being clear.. When Installing Linux Mint, it is
> in Partition mode, goes on thru to about 73% of that process, and (Like the
> other night) it stayed at 73% for over 2 and a half hours, not moving.. When
> I shut it off and went to bed..It says something like "determining file
> structure"..When Mint is working, it goes in Partition mode, sets up the
> Drive (I think formats the drive) and then copies the files to the Drive
> after copying them they are Extracted and Mint is set up, so that the full
> system is there and is bootable..So the problem is early in the Process, when
> setting up the drive possibly formatting it and Partitioning it (getting it
> ready for the files to be copied).. Making the 'Root' Partition and the
> 'swap' Partition.. Somewhere in that process it stops working.. I did have a
> thought this morning while mowing my friends lawn .. That If I can sort of do
> a compare on the Linux Mint Version 5 and the Individual programs that are in
> the List for Linux Mint ver 5, and make a Map of where the different parts of
> what I have on the list is located in the Mint program.. Maybe I could find
> the Part that has the Partition program and see if that is or has a 'bug' or
> error in it.. THANK YOU Marty

Far be it from me to attempt to guess what Paul will suggest, but on
the (thankfully rare ;) occasions when I've had to install a distro
I always avoid letting it do any automatic partitioning : I select
whatever it's 'expert' mode is called, create partitions to my
specification (at a minimum /boot, / for the system I hope to
install, swap if needed, and unpartitioned space in which I will
later create partitions for use by LFS).

Normally, distros then offer the option to format the partitions.

By doing that, I can at least see that the disk can be formatted,
i.e. that writing to it appears to work.

After that, I would expect the installer to say what it is
installing, and therefore indicate whether it is slowly making
progress.

Earlier, Paul suggested you will be using 40-pin IDE cables.  And I
assume your memory will be PC100, and not a lot of it.  The
combination is a recipe for slow installation.  Distros from the K6
period were a lot smaller, which I think is why Paul suggested using
something really old.

Some distros might let you open a shell on another tty.  If that is
available, you could try 'df' and 'top' (they might not be
available) to see what is going on.

One possibility might be that there is a problem with the CD, either
the drive or the CD itself.  I assume you burned it on a CDR, from
experience this weekend loading memtest86 (old) CD version (a very
small burn!) I can tell that even on modern CD/DVD drives with fast
processors and fast memory, the process of reading a CD can be very
slow.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.

Ken, Thank You for Your Prompt Reply and Great Information..

I am going to fire it up (in a minute) and see if I can do any of the things
that You are suggesting..

THANK YOU Marty

P.S., I was partially wrong in what I said, Mint first loads itself into
Memory, probably a small version of the whole thing..
Then if I start the Install and it makes it thru the various questions, then it
gets as far as I said before to the Partition program..

Is there any way to Load up a later Mint and use 'Debug' and Load the DVD with
Mint 5, and have it load Mint 5 with debug ??

THANK YOU Marty