On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 10:18:25AM -0400, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>   I'm also going to go against the grain and say that most services
> don't *need* to be integrated with each other.

I'll join you in that.  I'll go one step further and say that in many
cases, integration is a very bad idea.  Interoperability?  Sure.
But not integration.

I suppose this is because I very much buy into the "Software Tools"
philosophy of Kernighan and Plauger: a tool should do one thing and
do it well; tools should play nice with each other.  That's why, for
example, sort(1), cut(1), grep(1), tr(1), and wc(1) are all different
tools, even though they could be combined into one -- and why they work
beautifully when used together.  And that's why, as a counterexample,
Exchange is a bag of crap.  (To be precise: a *big* bag of crap.)

---rsk