<liberationt...@lewman.us> wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net> wrote:
>
>> The next person that recommends Skype to human rights activists is
>> completely discredited. Stop it and stop it now.
>
> s/Skype/third party services/
>
> Fixed that for you.

  I'll keep that in mind the next time someone from Tor promotes Riseup ;-)

  But seriously, average users need to have basic services that are
(unfortunately) run by third parties.  At a minimum, diversification
of services used.  If every activist uses Riseup or May First, those
services become just as high a priority for warrants as Gmail or
Hotmail.  If you have your own domain, that's awesome.  This is not a
realistic expectation for most people -- either because they lack the
knowledge to install and upkeep their hosting, class stratification,
or complete absence of time to do it.

  What would be fantastic is if more people who *did* have the
knowledge/money took the time to set up their own accounts on their
own domains.  And if you're a developer or an advanced user, help
others do it too!  It's far better to have a domain for your group of
friends than have everyone use riseup/gmail/etc.

  If you want gmail-like features, there are lots of open-source
avenues, like MailPile [1].

  I'm also going to go against the grain and say that most services
don't *need* to be integrated with each other.

~Griffin

[1] https://github.com/pagekite/Mailpile

--
Just another hacker in the City of Spies.
#Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: sa...@jabber.ccc.de

My posts, while frequently amusing, are not representative of the
thoughts of my employer.