On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 04:28:31PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:

> BTW, since I'm getting offlist questions about this: in case you were
> thinking "what you want is the FreedomBox", NO, what I'm talking about
> is NOT the FreedomBox. What I'm suggesting is compatible with the
> FreedomBox, but it's something else, much more concrete. See the
> details in the comments to that same post.

Your model of what FBX is trying to achieve is faulty.

I suggest you connect with the community at
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/freedombox-discuss
and see how you can contribute.

As to much more concrete, there's the 0.1 image out

http://freedomboxfoundation.org/

I am pleased to announce our first FreedomBox software release. The FreedomBox
0.1 image is available here (.torrent) (sha512sum:
867f5bf462102daef82a34165017b9e67ed8e09116fe46edd67730541bbfb731083850ab5e28ee40bdbc5054cb64e4d0e46a201797f27e0b8f0d2881ef083b40).

This 0.1 version is primarily a developer release, which means that it focuses
on architecture and infrastructure rather than finish work. The exception to
this is privoxy-freedombox, the web proxy discussed in previous updates, which
people can begin using right now to make their web browsing more secure and
private and which will very soon be available on non-FreedomBox systems. More
information on that tool at the end of this post.

What have we accomplished? This first release completes a number of important
milestones for the project.

Full hardware support in Debian A big part of the vision for the FreedomBox
project revolves around the "Boxs", tiny plug servers that are capable of
running full size computing loads cheaply and with little use of electricity.
In many respects these are wireless routers given the brains of a smart phone.
If you want to change the software on a router or smart phone today you
normally need to worry about bootloader images, custom roms, and a whole
collection of specialized build and install tools. We wanted to the FreedomBox
to move beyond this fragmented environment and, with the help of some embedded
device experts, we have managed to make our development hardware into a fully
supported Debian platform. That means that anyone with a device can install
Debian on it just like a laptop or desktop computer. This support is very
important for ensuring that the work we do on the FreedomBox is as portable and
reusable as possible.

Basic software tools selected There is a lot of great free software out there
to choose from and we put a lot of thought into which elements would be
included in our basic tool kit. This includes the user interface system
"plinth" that I outlined in a recent kickstarter update as well as basic
cryptography tools like gpg and a one named "monkeysphere" that leverages gpg
as an authentication tool. All of these are now bundled together and installed
on the release image. This common working environment will simplify development
going forward.

Box-to-box communication design Some goals of the FreedomBox can be
accomplished with one user and one FreedomBox but many, like helping someone
route around repressive government firewalls, will require groups of people and
groups of boxes working together. One of our greatest architectural challenges
has been finding a way for boxes to communicate securely without so slowing
down or breaking network access as to make the system unpleasant to use. We
have now outlined and built the first version of our proposed solution:
Freedom-buddy. Freedom-buddy uses the world class TOR network so that boxes can
find each other regardless of location or restrictive firewall and then allows
the boxes to negotiate secure direct connections to each other for actually
sending large or time sensitive data. We believe this blended approach will be
most effective at improving the security and usability of personal-server
communications and all the services we plan to build into those servers.

Web cleaning Our first service, a piece of software you can use today to start
making your web browsing more secure and private, is called
"privoxy-freedombox". This software combines the functionality of the Adblock
Plus ad blocker, the Easy Privacy filtering list, and the (HTTPS
Everywhere](https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere) website redirection plugin
into a single piece of software to run on your FreedomBox. Combining these
different plugins into software for your FreedomBox means that you can use them
with almost any browser or mobile device using a standard web proxy connection.
Because of our focus on building the FreedomBox as part of Debian this software
will soon be available to anyone running a Debian system regardless of whether
you are using our target DreamPlug hardware, a laptop, or a large rack server
somewhere. As you read this packages should already be available in the
Raspbian repositories, which is the optimized version of Debian used on the
Raspberry P
 i hardware. Hopefully we will get that onto the main Debian mirrors over the
next month; if you are interested in building it for yourself in the meantime,
the source is available from gitorious. As we build additional components for
the FreedomBox we will continue to work on making them widely available.

What is next? As you may have seen, our Project Lead, Bdale Garbee, is about to
begin a well earned early retirement from his long time role as Open Source &
Linux Chief Technologist at Hewlett-Packard. Over the coming month Bdale and
the rest of the Foundation team will be putting together plans for the next
stage of FreedomBox development and the road to a 1.0 release. News and updates
will follow at freedomboxfoundation.org (rss).