On 03-Dec-04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 TP>>> Incrementanlism is okay when you are incrementally going towards your
 TP>>> goal.  Allowing police officers to be armed [off duty] while [other]
 TP>>> citizens still are not is not a step in the right direction.

 r>>> Why is it not?  Before the step, X people are allowed to carry guns.
 r>>> After the step, X + N people are allowed to carry guns, where N > 0.
 r>>> How is that not a step in the right direction?

 s>> It drops you and me into 2nd-class citizen roles, or, "some are more
 s>> equal than others."

 r> So it's better for prohibitions to have no exceptions?  That's nuts.

The only rights we have are the ones we're willing to fight for.

 r> Or is your problem the fact that it's gov't employees who'd be given the
 r> exemption?...

What do you call a state wherein only police can be armed? A police state?

 r> ... OK, what if instead a statute made it legal for all Chinese to carry
 r> guns without permits?  Or all members of the Elks?  Or all persons who do
 r> not have pets or children?

Unacceptable. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed. Period.