Good evening, Dave!

I sincerely and respectfully disagree.  I think that what is happening is
really more of a reflection of the true will of the American people.  There
was one media figure who claimed that the media was going to swing the
election 15 points in Kerry's direction.  I think the media may have managed
a 10 point swing--but that's just speculation on my part.  I also think that
if Kerry had not been such a terribly flawed candidate, he would have won.

Let me remind everyone of a few things.  1) I think that the effect of the
Swiftboat Vets is underrated and yet even the underraters agree they had
their huge effect even though they had very little money (relatively
speaking--yes they did eventually get a fairly large stack of cash, but it
was after they made such a huge splash.)  2) In terms of the educational
attainment, Kerry won among high school dropouts and people with Ph.Ds.
Bush won among everyone in between.  3) The old media did their best to
provide "October surprises."  Those "surprises" didn't work because there
were alternate media outlets that were able to debunk them immediately (and
because the "surprises" were so amateurish.)

I think that this election has proven a few things.  1) While you DO need a
certain amount of money to run for office, there is also a level at which
more money doesn't do additional good.  2) and 3) show that there probably
is a little more awareness of issues and intelligence about them than you
are giving people credit for.

Lowell C. Savage
It's the freedom, stupid!
Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.