Frank Gilliland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

>>Oh yeah.  Another thing I hadn't thought of to put into such a treaty.
>>Protection of trademarks and copyrights.  You probably don't get to
produce
>>"Bourbon Whisky" or "Tennessee Whiskey" in California, either.  No reason
>>why someone from the Dominican Republic should be able to capitalize on
the
>>brand image that folks in Tennessee have built up.  (Was there also
>>something in there about Dominican cigars?)

>That might be a valid argument if not for general provisions already
>protecting trademarks, copyrights and intellectual property.

But trademark protections don't extend to generic products that are,
nevertheless, distinctive, albeit shared by a number of separate business
entities.  Apparently the Champagne region lost control of the term
"champagne".

>The CAFTA treaty may be intended to lift economic restrictions but is
>full of legal restrictions. And it's my personal opinion that freedom
>is inhibited by legal restrictions. I guess it all depends on how you
>define 'freedom'.

The important thing to realize is the RELATIVITY of freedom -- that there's
more free & less free.  Even if you have restrictions on increases in
freedom, they're still increases in freedom.  They're not restrictions on
the status quo, which would be reductions in freedom.

For example, suppose you were in a jurisdiction tht prohibited possession
of dogs.  But then the jurisdiction enacted a new law saying you can keep a
dog, provided it complies with some long technical description.  That's an
advance in freedom, because at least SOME dogs will be legal to keep, where
NONE

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/dr.html

News==----
>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+