On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:02:01 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Frank Gilliland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:
>
>>>From Article 3.12:
>
>>"Each Central American Party and the Dominican Republic shall
>>recognize Bourbon Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey, which is a straight
>>Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of
>>Tennessee, as distinctive products of the United States. Accordingly,
>>those Parties shall not permit the sale of any product as Bourbon
>>Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey, unless it has been manufactured in the
>>United States in accordance with the laws and regulations of the
>>United States governing the manufacture of Bourbon Whiskey and
>>Tennessee Whiskey."
>
>OK, a definition of "Bourbon Whiskey" and "Tennessee Whiskey".  What's
>wrong with laws defining terms of commerce, such as weights & measures?  It
>doesn't say other articles can't be sold, just that they can't be sold
>under those names.

When "Bourbon Whiskey" and "Tennessee Whiskey" are added to the list
of international weights and measures then I'll buy that argument.

>>I have read a lot of the text of this treaty. Basically it's a WTO
>>treaty under GATT that eliminates tariffs and subsidies between member
>>nations. However, the bulk of the document (aside from reduction
>>schedules) consists of restrictions, exceptions and exclusions (as
>>well as a couple ex-post-facto laws requiring refunds on certain
>>textile trades dating from 2004).
>
>But no provisions that make us LESS free than we would be in the absence of
>CAFTA as a whole.

Not the document -- the -effects- of the document. We all witnessed
the effects of NAFTA and they weren't good. CAFTA is just a larger
manifestation of the same concept.

>> The sheer quantity of the new laws
>>will make it almost impossible for any business smaller than a large
>>corporation to fully comply with the treaty, and will deter and/or bar
>>most small businesses from international trade.
>
>Not true.

Very true. The proof is in the trade disparities between small
companies and large corporations in the US that resulted from NAFTA.

>  The only persons concerned with compliance will be those seeking
>to TAKE ADVANTAGE OF REDUCTIONS in trade restrictions.

Maybe you didn't read the document: It -increases- trade restrictions;
it -reduces- trade tariffs and subsidies. And while a trade tariff can
certainly be considered to be a restriction, the argument is purely
semantic since trade subsidies are not.

> In other words, the
>agreement consists of lots of provisions that say, you can export this
>thing that you couldn't export previously to country X, provided....  In
>other words, it provides loopholes in previous restrictions.  Loopholes are
>frequently complicated, but they're still loopholes, not additional
>restrictions.

It certainly consists of plenty of loopholes, I grant you that. The
real question is who is most likely to benefit from those loopholes:
small businesses that can barely afford business insurance, or large
corporations with teams of specialized attorneys?

Newsgroups