Lowell

> Y’ know.  It’s rather interesting that the folks that wrote the
> US Constitution already thought about that “balance” between
> privacy and safety and wrote it into our 4th Amendment.

I do not know how familiar you are with Babylon 5 but in
season 4 of that sci-fi show, John Sheridan felt obliged to
call in the "first ones", very powerful alien beings, to
tackle a Vorlon planetkiller.

The Vorlons had decided to destroy settlements and planets
aligned to an opposing ideology.

What has this to do with terrorists?

Well, the Vorlons were acting as ideological terrorists
like Al Quaeda.

Sheridan was not willing to let billions die on Coriana 6
simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, he applied force. The intelligence services are another
kind of weapon and one that can be applied to attempt to
avoid a terrorist attack.

The Libertarian page I mentioned did not give a pragmatic reason
for opposition to covert surveillance. It spoke in terms
of rights.

Here is a quote
  The individual's right to privacy, property, and right to speak
  or not to speak should not be infringed by the government.

Suppose we rephrase it to include the downside
  The individual's right to privacy, property, and right to speak
  or not to speak should not be infringed by the government,
  no matter how many lives might be lost in a future terrorist
  attack which could have been prevented.

People might see the second, clearer statement of the Libertarian
position as less appealing and might favour Sheridan-style
intervention over appeals to the rights of ancients.

Regards
Tim

Babylon 5 - Intersections in Real Time
William: You must understand. He was expendable from the
  moment he arrived. We are all expendable, just parts in
  a machine.