On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 17:41 +0100, Tim Bedding wrote:
> Lowell
>
> > Y’ know.  It’s rather interesting that the folks that wrote the
> > US Constitution already thought about that “balance” between
> > privacy and safety and wrote it into our 4th Amendment.
>
> I do not know how familiar you are with Babylon 5 but in
> season 4 of that sci-fi show, John Sheridan felt obliged to
> call in the "first ones", very powerful alien beings, to
> tackle a Vorlon planetkiller.
>
> The Vorlons had decided to destroy settlements and planets
> aligned to an opposing ideology.

An opposing ideology that included the hostile conquest and elimination
of any other ideology. Not merely a minor quibble, that.

> What has this to do with terrorists?
>
> Well, the Vorlons were acting as ideological terrorists
> like Al Quaeda.

Actually that was the other group. Remember the Shadows? The Vorlons
were the ideological response to them. The Vorlons destroyed Shadow
worlds and Shadow military targets. The Shadows did otherwise.

Watched this season's Stargate SG1?

> Sheridan was not willing to let billions die on Coriana 6
> simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>
> So, he applied force. The intelligence services are another
> kind of weapon and one that can be applied to attempt to
> avoid a terrorist attack.
>
> The Libertarian page I mentioned did not give a pragmatic reason
> for opposition to covert surveillance. It spoke in terms
> of rights.

Those are the point, you know. Want to speak pragmatically? Invading my
privacy would not have prevented 9/11. Period. NONE of the "tools" put
in place post-9/11 would have. How is that for pragmatic? The best kept
secrets are right in front of you, right under your nose (like a
booger).

Checking up on people's library habits would not have done a damned
thing to prevent 9/11. Nor would they have stopped your subway bombers.
Sneak and peek would not have prevented 9/11. Freezing finances would
not have prevented 9/11. Asking stupid questions like "did someone else
pack your bags" would not have prevented 9/11.

have you looked into how they carried out their operation? I have. I am
also trained in the use of cell networks. Absolutely nothing in the
Patriot Act would have prevented 9/11. Zip, zilch, nadadamnthing. Not
even the creation of a DHS would have.

So tell us, is it pragmatic to waste a buttload of time, money, and
effort going down paths you KNOW don't lead you where you want to go,
and violate people's rights and destroy lives, not to mention create and
foment mistrust among the populace in the process?

How does creating paranoia about your own government help you fight
terrorism? Trick question; it doesn't. But that is what things like the
USAPATRIOT Act do. Its a shell game, and terrorists don't play it. They
play a different game. It's like changing the rules in baseball to make
football less interesting. It doesn't work.

We were shown *exactly* what would have prevented 9/11 on 9/11.
Passengers who were not coddled into thinking someone else would save
them. Decades of airline attendants and passengers being taught to go
along with a hijacker rather than risk your life. That us ultimately
what led to the possibility for 9/11 to happen. Complacency and an
unwillingness to take mortal risk when it is appropriate. We the people
are our first and last best hope. No amount of legislation or invasion
or privacy and destruction of individual rights will ever change that.

You wanna talk pragmatics about security practices? Bring it on. I'm
equipped and prepared for an intelligent, informed discussion of the
facts, are you? If so, lets have a go. Pragmatism isn't just a word or
an excuse. You have to back it up.

--
Random Fortune of the moment:
Humor in the Court: