Greetings again, Travis.

Insisting on preserving rights like the right to privacy at all costs and in all situations is suicide, politically and societally.  It is societal because any society that held privacy rights inviolate in all circumstances would be destroyed by criminals, terrorists and thugs.  The police and courts would be unable to complete investigations and so the guilty would go free—to continue looting, robbing, killing and terrorizing until the society fell apart or changed.  And it’s suicide politically, because the vast majority of people understand that and aren’t going anywhere near it.  That’s the sort of thing that makes libertarians appear to be the “kook fringe.”

I don’t know what part (if any) Franklin played in writing or supporting the Bill of Rights.  I could be wrong, but I somehow doubt that he thought that the 4th Amendments exceptions to the prohibitions on searches and seizures were infringements of “essential liberties” that we wouldn’t deserve if we gave them up for safety.  (Note by the way, ol’ Ben’s original statement “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”  Some people don’t seem to notice that “essential” part—an acknowledgement that there are some liberties that may not be “essential”.  (Also, I think he was actually quoting someone else.)  See: “http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/quotable/quote04.htm”)

You are correct that it is the Government’s job to protect our liberties.  That would seem to include the liberties of ALL—including the innocent.  That’s why I said that I thought the folks who worte the 4th Amendment did a pretty good job of coming up with a balance.

It also appears (from Tim’s description) that the Babylon 5 episode more-or-less followed something like that balance—although perhaps on a different issue.  Apparently a leader had to choose between allowing millions (or billions?) of people to die, or following the law.  He chose to save the people.  The description from Tim doesn’t seem to indicate that there were any laws broken or privacy (or other) rights of the “Vorlons” that were violated.  However, there probably was some proscription against (or at least reason for reluctance) to calling on the “first ones”.  Otherwise, I’m not quite sure how it would apply to this discussion.

Lowell C. Savage

It’s the freedom, stupid!

Gun control: tyrants’ tool, fools’ folly.