Greetings again, Travis.

Look.  I’m all for the government respecting rights.  Why don’t you give up that straw man argument that says I don’t?  Your post below made me think that perhaps Franklin was talking about the Bill of Rights.  Turns out we’re both wrong.  It probably wasn’t ol’ Ben who said it in the first place.  And here’s the original quote: “Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” (Capitalization as in the original.)  See http://www.futureofthebook.com/stories/storyReader$605 for the full context.  BTW.  That was written when he was still a Loyal Subject of the Crown (like Tim Bedding still is J.  Sorry Tim, couldn’t resist.).

So Travis.  Is it your position that if I can lure you into my home and kill you, then the police and judicial system will have to convict me of your murder without the ability to search my home for evidence?  Are you saying that their current ability (under the current US constitution) to conduct a search of my home after they have obtained a warrant that meets the criteria spelled out in the 4th Amendment, is a “sellout” of an “Essential Liberty”?

Now, certainly, if the government “ignores” the right to privacy, then there is trouble.  But I don’t see how you can equate “ignoring” privacy with the exceptions in the 4th Amendment.

And you are correct that “support of individual rights does not make libertarians appear to be the ‘kook fringe’”.  But supporting those rights in extreme circumstances when they conflict with the rights of others does.

Lowell C. Savage

It’s the freedom, stupid!

Gun control: tyrants’ tool, fools’ folly.