Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:22:29 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] "Hardware" hibernation in L110

>On Sun, 21 April 2002, "Gennadiy Tsygan" wrote
>

> > Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:08:48 -0400
> > From: "Gennadiy Tsygan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: [LIB] "Hardware" hibernation in L110
> >
> > I guess that Windows overrides the BIOS because selection has no >
>effect while in Windows. I checked the power button before
> > OS was loaded and it worked as you said. Still have no idea why
> > "hardware"hibernation doesn't work under Windows. I used a L100 >
>before, it had WinXP loaded on a second partition. Once it went > into
>hibernation and killed the XP completely. Bu my
> > current L110 just doesn't hibernate.

The fact that hibernation killed XP could possibly have been due to the
L110's BIOS forcing hibernation on a HDD bigger than 8GB with drive overlay
software set up to access the >8GB area.  If you don't create a small
40MB-80MB hibernation partition at the 8GB boundry, the L110 BIOS will write
over any data there that's there.  If the L110 BIOS has some reason like
loosing battery power, it can override settings in W2000 (am not sure about
XP) to write hibernation at the end of the HDD, and will write it to the 8GB
where it thinks the HDD space ends.

Matt