Thanks for your comments, João.

I am using Ant (or respectively the Eclipse built-in Ant-based
dependency management) for my Java and Scala work. I am on Vista.
Maven sputtered a number of different error messages on several
trials. I don't want to learn Maven and get to the bottom of this.
Busy schedules... What I am trying to do is to fit Lift into my
existing dev tool stack, Eclipse, Tomcat, MySQL, and (possibly)
Hibernate.

Cheers, CNX