On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:49:51AM +0100, Tixy wrote:

> > > I deselected CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL using menuconfig, which changed
> > > the .config file like...
> > >
> > > -CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y
> >
> > Yeah but where did this config come from?
>
> It was the output produced by running the commands listed at
> https://wiki.linaro.org/Resources/HowTo/KernelDeploy#From_Linaro_sources
>
> This config has CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y and doesn't have an entry for
> CONFIG_CPU_V6
>
> >   Regenerating
> > omap2plus_defconfig as I showed doesn't allow CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL to be
> > configured because CONFIG_CPU_V6 is set (along with V7) since
> > omap2plus_defconfig has a bunch of different cores supported.
> >
> > You mentioned -->
> >
> > "The .config I'm using is that described on the wiki at
> > https://wiki.linaro.org/Resources/HowTo/KernelDeploy#From_Linaro_sources";
> >
> > it also recommends
> >
> > make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- omap2plus_defconfig
>
> When I run that command I end up with a .config which has
> CONFIG_CPU_V6=y and no entry for CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL.
>
> > I just confirmed that's the case with current linux-linaro-2.6.39.  Am I
> > going nuts :?)
>
> No, were using two different methods to produce configs. The one I use
> produces a Thumb2 kernel, the one you use doesn't.

Well, it seems we have a few different problems here:

Certainly, it looks like there is some kernel bug related to Thumb-2.

Andy's "SIGILL" symptom is probably something else though.

Finally, we're not all using the same configuration, which is causing
confusion.  There are at least two sources for the config:

* The debian.linaro/config/...config.* files from the packaged linaro
kernel tree (at least me, Tixy and the packaged kernel use this)

* omap2plus_defconfig (omap upstream and some other people use this)

I'm not sure if there's a correct answer to that one ... but we should
be careful to explain more carefully what config we're using when
discussing kernel problems (I'm guilty of being a bit vague on this...)

Does anyone have a strong view on which config we should be using?

Cheers
---Dave