On 06/07/2011 10:58 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

Hi -

It was the output produced by running the commands listed at
https://wiki.linaro.org/Resources/HowTo/KernelDeploy#From_Linaro_sources

This config has CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y and doesn't have an entry for
CONFIG_CPU_V6

Well it's because that config is coming from outside the tree itself, it can have no relation to what's in the actual HEAD of what you're building.

* The debian.linaro/config/...config.* files from the packaged linaro
kernel tree (at least me, Tixy and the packaged kernel use this)

* omap2plus_defconfig (omap upstream and some other people use this)

I'm not sure if there's a correct answer to that one ... but we should
be careful to explain more carefully what config we're using when
discussing kernel problems (I'm guilty of being a bit vague on this...)

Does anyone have a strong view on which config we should be using?

I think folks who are working directly with kernel trees need to use defconfigs coming out of that exact tree and HEAD state. The reason is that along with patching code, we often patch our reference config that "belongs to the tree", ie, at the patchlevel where a new feature is added to the tree, commonly the reference config is patched as well to enable it. In my case that's omap4_defconfig but we need to be paying some attention to everything working with upstream's omap2plus_defconfig as well.

Folks who are packaging the kernel or wanting to get the same result as a packaged kernel with a different tree can try their previous packaged kernel's config; that's a bit less deterministic in terms of what they will get but it's certainly a legitimate thing to do since in the end most people will consume the kernel in packaged form.

However not everyone taking this kernel tree will know about or want to use this external linaro config flavour that lives somewhere completely different. So the tree ought primarily to work with its own local in-tree reference configs above all else.

-Andy