On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Nicolas Pitre <nicolas.pi...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2011, Dave Martin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:49:51AM +0100, Tixy wrote:
>> > No, were using two different methods to produce configs. The one I use
>> > produces a Thumb2 kernel, the one you use doesn't.
>>
>> Well, it seems we have a few different problems here:
>>
>> Certainly, it looks like there is some kernel bug related to Thumb-2.
>>
>> Andy's "SIGILL" symptom is probably something else though.
>
> I'm seeing those SIGILL crashes too, even with plain v2.6.39 from
> kernel.org.  So this one might not be linaro-2.6.39 specific.
>
>> Finally, we're not all using the same configuration, which is causing
>> confusion.  There are at least two sources for the config:
>>
>> * The debian.linaro/config/...config.* files from the packaged linaro
>> kernel tree (at least me, Tixy and the packaged kernel use this)
>>
>> * omap2plus_defconfig (omap upstream and some other people use this)
>
> That's the one I'm also using due to its convenience.
>
>> I'm not sure if there's a correct answer to that one ... but we should
>> be careful to explain more carefully what config we're using when
>> discussing kernel problems (I'm guilty of being a bit vague on this...)
>
> Yes, it is pretty necessary, especially if there is a config that works
> and another that doesn't.
>
>> Does anyone have a strong view on which config we should be using?
>
> The more configs we use the better.  More coverage is always good.  In
> the end, if only one config amongst many provides eratic behaviors this
> is a bug worth looking at.

Bisecting when CONFIG_THUMB2_KERNEL=y reproducibly identified
af3e4fd37a18f2e5a00175bc96061541d1364a3b as the first bad commit
between v2.6.39 and linux-linaro-2.6.39/master, but it's obviously
totally irrelevant and causes no code changes at all (which I
confirmed by disassembling) :P  Only the config.gz data and kernel
signature in the kernel changes...

It could be a decompressor problem or similar, but actually booting
from an Image doesn't work for me either after or before the above
commit.

So we could be looking at some other nasty side-effect, or we're
missing some omap-specific patch required to make cache maintenance
work properly etc.

If anyone has any other ideas about how to debug this further, I'd be
interested.  For now, I will try to add some printascii to see where
boot hangs (assuming that this isn't a heisenbug, of course).

Cheers
---Dave