It is Mandatory to have retail… however the representative for the Mall,
Michelle Barnes, clearly stated during Wednesday’s meeting that the
commercial component would be *smaller* than it is currently because the
RLF’s main goal is to “derisk” the mall. And it was explained that
residential properties are less risky than commercial properties.

And commercial, of course, also includes offices and other non retail
establishments.

Many people are under the impression that this rezoning of the mall will
lead to a vibrant development full of new business- but that clearly is not
the case.

If the point of having all of this housing around the mall is to encourage
people to walk to the amenities and not use a car, why are we reducing the
already very limited amount of retail businesses?

Sarah Postlethwait