Check on the electronic side, i know there are some items using mac driven ships to drive hardware. I wanted a while ago equip my car with a mac interface for checkup/maintenance purposes. The ship were then only programmable using pc's, en were driven via serial port, the modem line of 604 macs.
But since now all mac are usb, i'am pretty sure same ship could be driven via mac or pc via usb. the problem is more the app...en the compiler that allows you to program the ship en load the data into the chip itself.
If i've a bit time, will look for the few links i've got on this. I can remember that surprisingly prices were not that high.... at least for romships, rewrite ones were a lot more expensive, also the amount of external port per ships can have a very noticable influence on price...

Also a goed place to look for such things is 3d external scanners, those devices are using reverse systems but based on same story. You could then contact manufacturers...

fabrice
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> heeft op woensdag 20 november 2002 om 09:10 het volgende geschreven:

If you find some arm or foot or toycardriving gizmo, I'm interested too !!
Was a bit of time since last checked the neighboroughhoods.
Was some seriellported Xtras, but no remote-stuff around then. Have had same
curiosity to start up some tests. Wildest ideaqs was to run the Spaceshuttle
from a console.
As a matter of fact the iron ore mine in Kiruna over here in Scandinavia, has
it's own system of remote running everything from trucks to drilling equips !!
And they've set up ultra modern remote console as far as ..hhmmm 400 km away
just for fun in a showing up in what they can do. Lesser people, better
security and no one in those dangerous spots at the front where things fall
heavy.. And it seems to be working pretty well. Trucks and loading macherieries
are enormously big and set by cables in the back which winds and unwinds
automatically. No one is seen sitting in it.
As I gather, they had joined some university in LuleĀ city (LuleĀ universitet)
for that development. Probably C-stuff software and some other older toolings
in machine handling. Don't know exactly, just guessing.
The 2 guys in remote operations are actually sitting up by the ground in
daylighted offices with video cameras and at least 3 screens a head, joysticks
and all... name of the company to contact is LKAB -Luossavaara Kirunavaara AB
(Luossavara Kirunavara AB).

Quoting Andreas Gaunitz P11 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Do any of you happen to know where to get info/ pricing about a nice
USB controlled robot arm?

I've been searching the web, but have had a hard time finding
a) Control software later than win95/98
b) programmable, with a sort of "generic interface" reading text
files from disc or some other way to change/ update it's movements
periodically.
c) Preferrably Mac (!) and/ or Director Lingo controlled

FREE E-MAIL IN 1 MINUTE!
- [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.pc.nu

[To remove yourself from this list, or to change to digest mode, go to http://www.penworks.com/lingo-l.cgi  To post messages to the list, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Lingo-L is for learning and helping with programming Lingo.  Thanks!]