man, i'm just awake... after reading your reply, think i go back to bed....

i just wanted to say, that to move something physical from a computer you need at least 6 things.
1/ a computer compatible with chip
2/ a physical mechaniek with chip controlled movement. servo's
3/ a programmable ship
4/ a compiler/shell app for the chip language
5/ a software to load the program into the chip
6/ Great building skills, programming knowledge, lots time and money to spend...
OK, but I don't need any of the above. I could easily do it with a plotter and Director, if the plotter lifts the pen high enough over the paper when moving (so the brush stands clear of the paper). I'm investigating the alternatives: What kind of plotter would be best - a vinyl cutter using a scalpel? Or could I use a robot arm instead?

There are a number of cheap robot arms out there, but they use proprietary software. The by far simplest solution for me would be if there was an arm that could be controlled by an Xtra. Second best, arm control program reads data from a text file on disk that I can change from Director. Third best: Arm o plotter is controlled by writing simple stuff to a Com port on the computer. This alternative only rates as nr3 because I would need to do it on a PC. No Com port on modern Macs.

Why do I want to use Director at all? Because Lingo is what I master, and the images are going to be analysed with Lingo.

-A.