Lionel:

I think it's easy to say that SAF could eliminate its control of the
directory but also trivial to construct a counterexample situation
that would deliver you to the base VM tools rather rudely, with no way
of going back. If you're right, an existence proof would be (a) easy
and (b) incontrovertible proof.

Romney