On Tuesday, 05/14/2002 at 04:09 EDT, Dave Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> In a message dated 5/14/2002 2:04:39 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > If IBM doesn't have the VM
> > administration solution you need, then I would suggest that you look
> > other vendors of VM software.
> >

> ...real nice....I'm just reading through the latest z/OS "Hot Topics"
> newsletter and in it there's a big article entitled
> "Customers Talk and We Listen"
>
> ...I guess z/VM's article  would be titled...
> "Customer talk and we tell them...if you don't like our product,
> go find another VM"
>
> :(
>
> Dave

Dave, I'm sorry you took my comments that way.  There weren't intended
that way, certainly.  There's nothing out there that compares to the
capabilities of z/VM, so I would never suggest that anyone go looking for
"another VM" (you won't find one).

What I *am* trying to do is to illustrate that VM solutions don't all come
from IBM.  If you are unhappy with the z/VM system administration
solutions from IBM, try a different z/VM system admin solution from
another vendor.  IBM has traditionally depended on what IBM calls
Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) to fill in the gaps in the IBM product
line on the z/VM platform.  Against this backdrop, I've tried to position
SAF at the low end of the capability spectrum.  There are other products,
both from IBM and ISVs, that provide better z/VM system administration
functions than SAF.  SAF is not intended to compete with those solutions,
but is intended to let you either (a) migrate your VIF system to z/VM, or
(b) get Linux servers up and running with the least amount of effort and
education.  No more, no less.

We are *definitely* listening, and we appreciate the dialog.  This is one
of the best ways for us to understand how people actually want to use the
product and how we can change it to accomodate those wants.

Again, my apologies if my comments came across as any kind of "slam".  I
appreciate ALL of our customers (and I've talked to a lot of them!).

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development