On Tuesday, 05/14/2002 at 08:09 MST, Lionel Dyck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> As a migration tool it isn't even adequate as even a screwdriver can be
> used for multiple things whereas SAF is too limited and if it was
intended
> as a migration vehicle to eventually get the site to a native z/VM it
> falls miserably short as with SAF active you can't do anything but SAF
and
> Linux so you can't learn native z/VM.
>
> At a minimum the SAF doc should indicate to first install z/VM and then
> install a 2nd z/VM under the first and to activate SAF there so that you
> have a real z/VM to learn with as you can't guarantee that there is an
> available LPAR to install z/VM in for experimentation.

Lionel, the design point of SAF was compatibility with VIF.  It provides a
path so that that a VIF customer can migrate to z/VM *so they can stop
using the VIF command and use native VM functions instead.  The whole idea
of a simplified VM command-line sysadmin interface has proved to be (IMO)
untenable.  There are simply too many knobs, levers, bells, whistles, and
portals that have developed over the last 30 years to allow a meaningful
simplification of the magnitude imposed by SAF and VIF.  How does one
create a 2nd level system without learning enough directory management to
make SAF unnecessary?  Chicken and the egg.

z/VM 4.3 introduced the IP Configuration Wizard and an ifconfig command to
handle TCP/IP stuff.  DIRMAINT does the heavy lifting for directory
management.  Those three things do most of what VIF/SAF did for you.

Bottom line:  The moment you decided that you needed to update the
directory for yourself, you outgrew SAF.  We're pushing you out of the
nest.  Fly and be free!  :-)

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development