From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Harting, David
Sent: April 27, 2006 10:04
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Install question

I am installing Marist/LINUX on an IBM Z800 in a Z/VM guest.

I am unable to ftp the root file system into the LINUX(page 116 of the
Linux for S/390 install/config).

I am unable to ping from my PC to the LINUX.

I am able to ping from the tcpmaint ID to the LINUX but it seems I can
not do this from outside of the mainframe.

Ping Level 520: Pinging host xx.xx.xx.60.

                Enter 'HX' followed by 'BEGIN' to interrupt.

PING: Ping #1 response took 0.001 seconds. Successes so far 1

Ready; T=0.03/0.04 09:04:07

This is my config from inside the LINUX.

ifconfig

ctc0      Link encap:Serial Line IP

          inet addr:xx.xx.xx.60  P-t-P:xx.xx.xx.62  Mask:255.255.255.255

          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

Can you get a point to point connection to the external world?

From the tcpmaint id in VM.

ifconfig -a

ETH0     inet addr: 10.1.1.62 mask: 255.255.255.0

         UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 1492

         vdev: 0014 rdev: 0014 type: QDIO ETHERNET portname: UNASSIGNED

         ipv4 router type: NONROUTER ipv6: DISABLED

         cpu: 0 forwarding: ENABLED

         RX bytes: 1423930 TX bytes: 8015

LI2000LNK inet addr: 10.1.1.62 P-t-P: 10.1.1.60 mask: 255.255.255.255

         UP BROADCAST MULTICAST POINTOPOINT MTU: 9216

         vdev: 2000 type: CTC portnumber: 0

         connects to: LINMSTR 2005

         cpu: 0 forwarding: ENABLED

         RX bytes: 75868 TX bytes: 31108

Ready; T=0.04/0.05 09:57:00

Is there any other parm I have to add to the TCPIP stack other then
devise,link,home,gateway, and start?

<FONT SIZE=1 FACE="ARIAL">^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender and delete all copies. Any review or
distribution by others is strictly prohibited. Personal emails are
restricted by policy of the State Employees' Credit Union (SECU).
Therefore SECU specifically disclaims any responsibility or liability
for any personal information or opinions of the author expressed in this
email.

</FONT>

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action
intended recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
The integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the
Internet.  The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail, or
for the consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.
 The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.