> Since the Marist distro is so out-of-date, why is it still up and
> downloadable without large warnings to get a more modern level?

You'd have to ask Marist, but my guesses are:

1) Hysterical Raisins. Some people get off on retro-computing (this from
a person that runs TOPS20 on an emulated KS20 under VMWare on this same
Windows box just to run a *proper* version of Emacs for writing stuff).

2) Marist is out of round-tuits for updating obsolete web pages. Mark
Post may have a similar lack, or he's finally decided to Get a Life(tm).

3) Inertia, leading to entropy. It'll be the death of the universe at
some point.

-- db