> First, I tried Debian.

What problems did you have with Debian?

> This proof of concept is talking me a long time!
> A new release of Z/OS or Z/VM might be easier.

The networking problem you described will occur with any Linux
distribution you try. You have to work with your networking people to
get the right routing set up for *any* of the distributions to work.
Linux relies much more heavily on network setup than z/OS or z/VM does
-- and in the z/VM environment, you're setting up network segments, not
just hosts, so a lot of the stuff that gets done out in the boxes in
your corporate network becomes visible to you -- you get to be network
dude as well as systems dude.

> All I want to do is get LINUX up and running and let some people see
> what we can do with it.
> It looks easy to do in the IBM magazines.

It is.