> I am installing Marist/LINUX on an IBM Z800 in a Z/VM guest.

Bluntly, give up on the Marist distribution and start with something
more modern that supports guest LANs. The Marist code is *ancient* and
lacks a number of important things to make it usable for anything.
You'll spend more time chasing those problems than learning anything
about Linux.

If you need a totally free distribution to play with, check into CentOS
or Debian. Both are considerably more up to date, and much more
representative of the current state of the art.

Returning to your question:

> I am able to ping from the tcpmaint ID to the LINUX but it seems I can
not
> do this from outside of the mainframe.

The problem is not in your setup, but in the network outside your setup.

You need to have your networking people insert a static route into the
network infrastructure that tells the rest of the world that your Linux
guest is reachable via the VM TCPIP stack, or configure MPROUTE on VM
and have the networking guys accept routing updates from it. They're
more likely to do the static route approach.