From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 11:37 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Adding dasd with Red Hat

>>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at  8:10 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bauer,
Bobby
(NIH/CIT) [E]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We got our first Linux system up under a trial Red Hat, LPAR install
> with an IFL, no Z/VM. Looks good.
>
> We let the install autoconfig 4 3390-3's but we want to add more dasd.
> Make a logical volume group and partition a single 3390. The Red Hat
> manuals I've looked at don't seem to cover this and the cookbook
doesn't
> either.

It's been a while since I played with RHEL, so make sure you have good
backups of stuff...

>From what I remember, you need to add the new DASD volume to the "dasd="
parameter in /etc/zipl.conf, then re-run mkinitrd and zipl, and then
reboot.  To be safe, you might want to make a copy of your current
"stanza" in /etc/zipl.conf, give it a different name, and update that.
You'll also need to update the [menu] section to point to it.  When you
reboot the system, it should show up in the list of kernels to select
from.

If you have already configured the DASD online to the LPAR, the system
should have detected that, and you should be able to do a "chccwdev -e
0.0.????" command to bring it online without rebooting.  You'll still
need to make the other changes, though, since that is only temporary
until the next time you boot the system.