On Monday 24 March 2008 15:40, David Boyes wrote:
>> I wouldn't recommend you use VI from the 3270 console.
>
>Vi does have a line mode operation, but you won't like it much. The
>commands are based on ex, and about as hard to use as any line mode
>editor, but it works.

Or, when you're really stuck, use ed(1).  Or is that for when you *want* to be
really stuck?

There's a story I ran across many years ago in a fortune(6) database about the
creator of ed(1):
-----------
Ken Thompson has an automobile which he helped design.  Unlike most
automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas gauge, nor any of the
numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver.  Rather, if the
driver makes any mistake, a giant "?" lights up in the center of the
dashboard.  "The experienced driver", he says, "will usually know
what's wrong."
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty