> No doubt some drugs were involved.  In defense of the BSD guys, it was
> very hard to get correct information on various terminals at the time
> termcap was created.  Most of the termcap entries were done by reverse
> engineering the terminal.

Easier then than now. It's almost impossible to get command code manuals
for terminals (or anything else) these days.

> The DEC terminals were very hard to get right because different vt100s
> behaved different, even if they were the same model (and there are
several
> different models of vt100).  It seems the micro-code changed over
time.

It did, particularly on the "advanced" VT1xx models like the 125 and the
105 Regis terminal (that thing was *weird*). Still, the VT2xx and 3xx
series were pretty stable over their lifetimes, and the 4xx and 5xx were
pretty much refresh hardware around the same PROMs. There's still at
least one weirdness in the 4xx entry for keypad keys in application
mode, and it doesn't reset scrolling regions properly on the VT440.

But, maybe I'm the only one left who cares about dumb terminals from
dead manufacturers. *sigh*

-- db