The numbers reported by vmstat inside a Linux guest report on the
virtual CPU usage. Unless you have attached real CPUs to a guest,
they're not a good representation of real CPU utilization -- it tells
you only what the division of labor is from Linux's perspective. Useful
for determining whether you have an I/O hog or not, but not reflective
of the actual usage of the system.

If you are using Perfkit, you need to install RMFPM in the guest and
configure Perfkit to accept data from it to get a better sense of what
is actually going on. There are other solutions that use a different
approach to correlate the VM and Linux CPU numbers (SNMP + VM accounting
records), and recent mods to the Linux kernel (I think those made it
into SLES 9 SP4, but don't know for certain -- they're in SLES 10 SP1)
that provide more accurate VM accounting records, but I don't know if
Perfkit supports them yet.

Don't run RMFPM for very long; it's a real hog on it's own.